Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Commpassion, Sympathy, and the Roots of Empathy

Individuals of all ages, race, class etc. have the ability to express themselves emotionally in every way. For example, sympathy is the "quality or state of being thus affected by the suffering or sorrow of another" (403).  I believe that all human-beings can be affected emotionally. Some people have to experience it themselves to understand the pain they go through, but not in all cases. For example, unfortunately I have been to many funerals in the past few years. Whenever, I go to funeral I get this feeling running through my skin, my heart pounding every little second that tears start to fall out. They might not have been close to me as much, but just knowing people are affected emotionally, it makes me upset as well. My heart beats at an increasing pace like the heart of a running cheetah. My breath is taken away. For example, when I first got my first dog and it died I felt very distressed. From the death of my first animal, I knew death was a consuming factor. Death can be unfortunate, but to me it consumed my happiness I once had with my first pet. I felt hopeless, but my friends sympathy made me feel better.Showing sympathy is a way in where emotions can be shared. When others show affection of your loss, sometimes it makes you realize your not alone.









Sometimes in life you can't always describe the meaning one feels. Words are not always meant to be said, rather than to express them to get the significant meaning instead.  But to some people, "emotions are rarely out into words; far more often they are expressed through cues" (411). Yet, another way were you can depict someone's feelings is through the tone of voice, gesture, and facial expression. For example, doctors always feel empathy for the loss of their patients. They might not cry emotionally because they are use to it, but rather do they show affection by the tone of voice. So sometimes the good way to show empathy or sympathy is by giving people a hug by showing them that everything is going to be okay. Life is full with obstacles,but there are there to make us strong emotionally.












Pictures:
http://www.babyboomercaretaker.com/funeral/death/Sympathy-Verses-For-Death.html

http://www.manageangerdaily.com/2010/03/the-hardest-thing-to-learn/

No comments:

Post a Comment